John F Kennedy &World Consumer Movement
"Consumers by definition include us all. They are the largest economic group, affecting and affected by almost every public and private economic decision. Yet they are the only important group,whose views are often not heard." -J.F Kennedy ,15 March 1960.
The consumerism and consumer movement are interchangeable terms.In U.S.A ,the term "consumerism" to refer to the consumer movement in a pejorative and antagonistic way.The strong opposition to consumer movement are strong lobbyist of U.S market.Most business houses brought law suits against consumer rights organization for false propaganda.
It is apt to say Mr.John F Kennedy is 'Father of Consumer Movement" in USA and World.Before 1960,consumer rights were not recognised in USA or world in particular,but consumer rights were recognised by Christianity,Islam and Hinduism ,but they were not codified.
The right to safety
The right to be informed
The right to choose
The right to be heard
- Physical safety
- Promotion and protection of consumers' economic interests,
- Standards for the safety and quality of consumer goods and services,
- Distribution facilities for essential consumer goods and services,
- Measures enabling consumers to obtain redress,
- Education and information programmes,
- Measures relating to specific areas (food, water, and pharmaceuticals).
- Promotion of sustainable consumption, [was added in 1999].
Involvement or action,
- http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=9108 -Special Message to the Congress on Protecting the Consumer Interest.March 15, 1962