-For dummies -
It is duty of I.O pick up all vital clues/documents ,which will only helps the case,it is prudent for I.O to avoid scrap material[insignificant documents/material],which won't help the prosecution case.
- Description of the scene of offence with sketch&drawing and photographs.
- Persons found at scene of offence.
- Records found at scene of offence or weapons or exhibits.
- The contraband material found during search&seizure.
- Taking Photo's
- It should be signed by the prosecution Witness[PW],Prosecuting officer /I.O and mediators.
- Names of officers conducting Panchanama
- Place ,Date and Time
- Description of Panchas
- Description of Scene of offence with Sketch describing the scene neatly , with direction of body placed [ North ,South,East and West ],houses ,boundaries of the house.
- Mentioning exhibits/weapons recovered at the scene of offence[like cloths, documents ,personal belonging or other human particles.],prepare list of articles recovered at the scene of offence.
- Explaining the panchas ,purpose of search &seizure with or with out order of the court.
- Describing persons found working at the time of Search and Seizure mentioning their age and nature of duty undertaken at that place.
- List of legal documents found during Search and Seizure.
- Description of contraband &particular place where they have been found ,during Search and Seizure.
- Brief statement of persons found at scene of offence or place where contraband material found.
- Drawing of samples &its procedure.
- The records searched and verified relevant to the case.
- List of articles seized during search and seizure should be given to accused.
Problems with Hostile Witnesses:
Only problem confronting prosecution is witness turning hostile,which is the main reason for acquittal of cases,all hard work of police goes waste, conviction rate increases ,if they ensure that witness don't turn hostile,but it never happens in reality. We don't have witness protection mechanism.The trend of witness turning hostile should be curbed,which is not an easy task.