The disabled child also faces discrimination and stigma in the society and moreover, their rights were being abused by the society,The Hindi film "Koi Mil Gaya" revolves around the story of mentally challenged boy and teenager,Telugu film 'Anjali' deals with mentally challenged girl life.The "Taare Zameen par' deals about the child with dyslexia problem [learning disorder]
The children /teenager tussle with their parents and constant intrusion of their individuality by over- bearing parents is another form of the abuse of child rights.The Telugu film Bommarillu [doll's house] deals about over-protective Father and sensitive son relationship,son develops bitterness towards his father for excessive interference[in all issues like dress,hair style,career or marriage] in his life,even at the age of 24,later father realizes his mistake.
The children don't have right to carry any business/trade or transfer the property,the minor's contract is void contract under Indian contract act ,they don't right to marry,until they attain the age of 18 years&even consensus sex or under- age sex is crime in the most countries.The age of consent is also matter of debate,in some countries,it is 14 or 16 or 18.The under -age sex or child sexual abuse or child pornography and child trafficking is considered as severe crime in most societies and severe punishment is imposed on perpetuaters.
Many countries ,the corporal punishment in schools is considered as crime and stringent punishment is prescribed in criminal laws.Many countries enacted special laws like Child Rights act to protect the child from abuse and their rights are well protected.India enacted law,making 'Right to Education' a fundamental rights in 2010,[Part-III of Constitution of India, 1950],there are many articles in the constitution which protects the child and their abuse.Many offenses relating child abuse are recognized by Indian Penal code ,1872.There are special laws in India and other countries like Juvenile justice act for juvenile delinquency and their rehabilitation.
The Child &Over bearing Parents:
There is no universal accepted definition of child abuse and what constitute abuse is debatable issue in the world.What constitute authoritarianism or what constitute interference in young adults affairs?At the same time,the responsibility lies on parents to act cautiously or due care to protect the interest of children's welfare and well being.Any act of negligence towards to children& their rights is considered as crime in many societies.
Child &Reality TV Shows :
Many child rights activists complained about T.V Channels Reality shows and their excessive exhibition of competition among young children.Some of the them also criticized jury behavior and their comments on children performance affecting their psychology and self esteem.It has been observed that some of young child or teen suffered mental shock ,due to elimination in the reality shows.Many parents and child rights activists approached Child Rights Commission or Human Rights Commission to direct and stop reality shows.There are several allegations on parents are they are depriving child's education in the name of reality shows,games or sports for cheap publicity and exploitation of talent for commercial purpose.It is not a crime to nurture &develop the child talent ,but it should not be at the cost of basic and elementary education.
Many countries including India ,enacted law to enforce right to education to all children under age of 14 yrs,no child should be deprived of education for want fees.The denial of education and child labour is a statutory crime in many countries.
- Are you excessively scolding your child for home work ;over-expectation beyond their abilities by insisting higher ranks or grades.
- Are you comparing your kid or teen with other children and constantly belittling him or her ,not giving opportunity to learn according to his/her own speed or phase.
- Are you stopping your child from watching T.V or depriving entertainment or games or recreation or holidays ?
- Are you forcing teenager to study engineering or medicine by undermining his or her choice of subject?
- Are you neglecting his /her health&nutrition?
- Are you physically or mentally or psychologically harassing your child ?
- Are you imposing your choice on him or her - clothes , food or career ,not respecting his or her individuality.
- Are you denying child visitation rights of child [may be father or mother] in divorce cases.
- Are you denying his /her friends company and interfering in the matter of friendship.
- Are you denying the company of grand father/grandmother.
- Are you respecting his/her opinions and view points or whether you are giving in -enough space to express his/her thoughts and opinion.
- Are you denying any valuable information.
- Are you expecting 100 % perfection from your child in all activities.
- Are you forcing your kid to participate in various competitions like reality shows.
- The right to Education
- The right to Expression:
- The right to Information:
- The right to Nutrition
- The right to Health & Care
- The right to protection from Abuse:
- The right to protection from Exploitation:
- The right to protection from Neglect:
- The right to Development
- The right to Recreation:
- The right to Name & Nationality:
- The right to Survival
Some of the operative part of the CRC
The denial of rights to children amounts to Human Rights Violations.Many countries have formed child rights panels and hotline/helpline to address the issue of child abuse at home or school or society in general.There is a need for zero-tolerance of child abuse at home as well as in society.The government needs to work towards ensuring child rights protection and let them live with dignity and respect.The onus lies on the parents and guardians to protect their interest and strive towards healthy upbringing in a decent environment by providing conducive atmosphere at home.
Courtesy &References :
M Ravi Kumar
He can be contacted : email@example.com