In USA,the October month is regarded as "Bullying Prevention Awareness month",every student is a victim of bullying or ragging in schools or colleges or universities.The various studies have indicated that children who indulge in bulling,he or she more likely to have a criminal personality traits by the age of 24.The Children,who indulge bullying may continue to be bullies as an adults, and are more prone to becoming child and spouse abusers.
The bullies may be become a victim of substance/Alcohol abuse and one of the possible reasons of excessive bullying or ragging is being a product of negligent parenting[working parents with irresponsible attitude ]or due to matrimonial discords or due to single parenting or personality disorders,or psychological disorders like depression or anger or jealousy of performance of fellow students,but bullying and ragging[welcome gesture to fresher]to a extent is fun,if it is in form of mild teasing,if it exceeds limits,it is regarded as perverted and deviant behavior.It ought to be regarded as criminal act,when ragging or bullying takes criminal dimensions.
The incidence of bullying[adult or child]are reported in schools,play grounds,social&recreation clubs,Shopping malls, work places,hospitals,universities,colleges,public transport and other public places.
The act of bullying or ragging is perpetuated by one individual or one or more individuals forming in group to bully one individuals or another group of individuals[peer].
- The bullying should be taken seriously by school management.
- Every school should have child counselor or psychiatrist to tackle such behavioral problems.
- The parents should be informed about child's misbehavior.
- The parents should be given counselling and they should be suggested to spend more time with children to rectify the behaviors.
- Prevention is better than cure ,the good character of child can be molded at an early age to avoid further embarrassing problem of adult life [criminal acts or spouse abuse or substance abuse or suicides].
- The counselling of victims should also be undertaken to avoid psychological or behavioral problems or suicides as result of guilt or shame or helplessness.
The fresher faces ragging in all educational institutes.There are several instances of ragging reported in prestigious engineering and medical institutes,several suicide cases were also reported.
This regulation was framed by University Grants Commission ,India, after directions given by the Hon'ble Supreme court in University of Kerala v/s. Council, Principals, Colleges and others case,(2006) 8 SCC 304.
This regulation defined what constitute ragging and what are remedial measures are to be taken by management of institute to prevent the scourge of ragging ,one of important provision is formation of the committees to look into complaints of ragging and referring for necessary action like rustication [TC] from the institute and instituting appropriate legal action like filing criminal case under appropriate provisions of the law.
1) The Institutions may erect suitable hoardings/bill boards/banners in prominent places within the campus to exhort the students to prevent or not to indulge in ragging and also indicating therein the names of the officials and their telephone numbers to be contacted in case of ragging.
2) All Educational Institutions should form an Anti-Ragging-Committee and squads and dedicated cadre of wardens and professional counselors to ensure that the directions of Hon’ble Supreme Court of India and Justice Raghavan Committee recommendations are followed without exception.
4) The Institution may also undertake other forms of campaign as it may consider appropriate for prevention of ragging.
5) UGC has uploaded a film on anti-ragging on its website. All universities and colleges are requested to download the same and give wide publicity amongst the students, before the start of the academic session. Besides, this may be constantly monitored during the entire period of the academic session.
Any violation of UGC regulations as cited above or if any Institution fails to take adequate steps to prevent ragging or act in accordance with these regulations or fails to punish perpetrators of incidents of ragging suitably, UGC shall call for punitive action against erring institutions.
Students in distress owing to ragging related incidents can access the toll free helpline -1800-180-5522