- When husband or wife living,
- marries ,but such marriage is void,
- by reason of its taking place during the life of husband or wife.
- When is Bigamy offence ?
- the first husband or wife is dead, or
- the first marriage has been declared void by the Court of competent jurisdiction, or
- the first marriage has been dissolved by divorce, or
- the first spouse has been absent or not heard of continually for a space of seven years. The party marrying must inform the person with whom he or she marries of this fact.
The person aggrieved can file a case of bigamy either in court or at the police station. The father of an aggrieved wife can also make a complaint under section 494/495 of the Indian Penal Code. A petition for declaring the second marriage as void can be filed by the parties of second marriage and not the first spouse.
If person hides first marriage and contacts second marriage ?
Catholics in India who remarry after the Church annuls a prior union could still face bigamy charges under the country’s laws.
Bigamy &Hindu Law of Succession ?
Hence ,these some of frequently asked questions about law governing the offence of "Bigamy".